SoundCloud has a built-in feature that facilitates you to schedule the release of your song, mix, and podcast.
Most artists wait for the right time and moment to hop behind the computer to publish their music. This isn’t always possible and convenient as you might be caught up at an event, GIG, or be on tour. If you schedule your release, you can set and forget, so you don’t feel urged to be near a computer.
In this guide, I will explain how you can schedule your music, what the benefits are, and talk about some best practices.
What you will learn in this guide:
- Preparation is the key to success;
- Planning is key;
- Schedule a release step by step;
- Pros of scheduling;
- Final thoughts
What preparations are needed before releasing your music?
Ever felt like you want to release your music as soon as you finished working on it? It is not that uncommon that you worked on your song for hours, days, or even weeks to perfect every little detail.
That is why you should provide the same care and attention to the release your song. Planning and preparation can help a lot as it plays a big part in your success as an artist. You can be on the right track, but at the end of the day, it’s all about execution.
- Investigate similar songs in the SoundCloud charts. Look closely at the title, description, and take notes of the tags these artists use.
- Write a description of your song and include social media links.
- Design cover art for your song or mix. You can do this yourself, ask a friend, or hire someone to do it for you.
Why planning is key?
Now that you have done some research, designed artwork, and wrote a description of your soon to be published song, we can start setting things up for your release.
There is one more thing you should consider before we go any further. Are you going to publish your song on other platforms and stores besides SoundCloud through a record label or aggregator? If so, I would strongly advise releasing your song on the same date and time as the publication takes place on other platforms. Unless you prefer to premiere your tune on SoundCloud first. I leave that up to you as it’s a choice of preference.
How to schedule a release step by step?
I will provide you with step by step instructions on how to upload and correctly use the schedule functionality.
- Sign in on soundcloud.com with your username and password.
- Upload a FLAC, WAV, ALAC, or AIFF for the highest audio quality.
- Upload square cover art with a minimum of 800 x 800 pixels.
- If needed correct the title.
- Select the appropriate genre or scroll down to audio when uploading a podcast.
- Add 5 to 10 tags that help the algorithm on SoundCloud correctly segment your song.
- Add a description to your song, including links to your social media.
- Pick the date, time, and select timezone to schedule your future release.
- Go to the Metadata tab. Enter the ISRC if your song will be released in stores.
- Navigate to the Permissions tab to set these up the way you like.
Note: You need a SoundCloud Pro Unlimited subscription to schedule releases.
What are the pros of scheduling?
The schedule feature is easy, convenient, and helpful. It enables you to set and forget. However, you need to have a SoundCloud Pro Unlimited subscription before the feature becomes available on your upload panel.
- Set a release date and time for a song you finished.
- Ensure your weekly mix, podcast, or song gets released on time.
- Pick a timezone to avoid confusion when the release actually appears live.
- You don’t have to carry your laptop with you or set the alarm on your phone to release your song in time.
I hope you find this guide and explanation useful. Hopefully, you learned something you can utilize as an artist. More tutorials will be posted every week to keep you up to date and inform you about new developments, tips, and tricks.
You can help a friend and do us a favor by sharing this article.